CoDaS is a joint two year M.Sc. programme in the area of communications engineering and data science offered by three European universities: Aalto University, Grenoble INP Graduate schools of Engineering and Management (Université Grenoble Alpes), and Técnico Lisboa (University of Lisbon). Each Partner University will recruit students for the 1st year of the programme according to their quota, following their usual admission processes. Then, the students will go for the 2nd year of the programme to another Partner University. For instance, the student that enrols in Aalto University for the 1st year, will go either to Grenoble INP Graduate schools of Engineering and Management (Université Grenoble Alpes) or Técnico Lisboa (University of Lisbon) for the 2nd year.
The joint CoDaS M.Sc. programme covers a range of timely industry topics relevant to modern fields of engineering consisting of competences from electrical engineering, automation, programming, communications, data science, artificial intelligence and machine learning, network security, and Internet of Things (IoT).
Students will acquire expertise in a range of techniques covering the broad areas of mathematics, modelling and analysis of signals and systems, data science, artificial intelligence, security, networks and distributed systems.
During their studies, students will also acquire expertise in other areas, such as project planning and management, teamwork and coordination, entrepreneurship, critical thinking and sustainability. The joint CoDaS M.Sc. programme will empower students to solve industry-relevant problems employing cutting-edge tools of artificial intelligence, automation and control theory, data analytics, network security, wireless systems, distributed systems and signal processing. Students will be trained in the design and analysis of machine learning models and communication systems, advance their knowledge in the broad field of computer networks and cybersecurity, and gain professional experience through tailored industry-relevant projects and entrepreneurship trainings.
The expertise gained through the joint CoDaS M.Sc. programme features diverse programming skills, good mathematical background, goal-oriented problem solving, as well as efficient project planning and management. In particular, students will boast competences in:
- emerging communication technologies: learning from experts in the domain of communication and networking;
- cutting-edge automation competences: getting theoretical skills and practical expertise at the crossroads of communications and data science;
- emerging information technologies: learning from experts in evolving information technologies that define the future in industry and society;
- network security: learning to lead the transition of the industry towards security and privacy by design and by default in all types of networks, and more specifically in IoT;
- distributed computer networks: learning to command the tools to manage future distributed networks of an unprecedented scale, including ubiquitously deployed IoT;
- artificial intelligence in networking: acquiring knowledge on a broad range of tools to structure and analyse huge data sets and to extract meaning from patterns;
- data acquisition: appreciating the value created by collecting, communicating, coordinating, and leveraging the data from connected devices;
- programming skills: obtaining practical programming expertise in a range of industry-relevant languages;
- project and team working: getting practical experience through projects in relation with industry.
The objectives of the joint CoDaS M.Sc. programme are the following:
- to strengthen student education in the key area of Communications Engineering and Data Science with foreseen major future impact,
- to contribute to the graduation of engineers in the already much needed area of the degree, putting together the competences of telecommunications and data analysis,
- to offer a variety of courses on complementary specialisations at the Partners: 5G and Automation at Aalto University, CyberSecurity at Grenoble INP Graduate schools of Engineering and Management (Université Grenoble Alpes) and Communications and Data Science at Técnico Lisboa (University of Lisbon),
- to address current and future challenges related to Information and Communication Technologies and sustainable development,
- to contribute to the goals of the European Union Digital Strategy.
Students enrolled in the joint CoDaS M.Sc. programme will:
- have the opportunity to study in two of the Partner Universities,
- get acquainted with the cultures of two different European countries, and
- graduate in the domain with a high level of employability in the global market.
The joint CoDaS M.Sc. programme targets European and international students.
Students applying to enter the Programme are required to have a B.Sc./B.Eng. degree (with a study duration of at least 6 semesters or 180 ECTS credits) in a technical area related to the programme, such as computer science, computer engineering, or electrical or computer engineering. A good background is expected from the students in mathematics and communications.